Friday, April 11, 2008

Subway Adventure - Part 1

Once upon a time, back in the late 60s/early 70s, my friend Lowel Consuegra and I were on our way home from school and looking for some excitement. We decided that laying some pennies on the subway tracks at the Dekalb Avenue station would provide that, plus we were always curious what would happen anyway so... "Let's do it!"

We climbed down off the platform (ever conscious of the ominous THIRD RAIL) and I was immediately hit by that eerie 'I'm somewhere over the edge, in some place I'm not supposed to be and what if I can't get back in time' feeling. It was exhilarating. We laid our pennies down on the track as quickly as possible.

Fortunately we were able to scramble back up onto the platform by the time the next train arrived. We were at the 'front' of the station, a minute later, when the old D train pulled in and came to a stop. The fact that we were just standing there and not getting on the train made the engineer give Lowel and me a very suspicious look. Nevertheless, after a moment, the train pulled out of the station.

Lowel and I scrambled back onto the tracks and grabbed our flattened pennies. "Cool. A new guitar pick." Figuring we had plenty of time now, because the last train had just pulled out of the station, Lowel and I took our time looking around. What we saw was similar to the image above/right.

Lowel, being the troublemaker my mother always warned me to stay away from, said, "Hey, I wonder if that ledge on the right goes all the way to the next station?"

"Uh... I don't know."

"Let's check it out."

"I don't know, man."

"Come on. It'll be cool."

"OK. Let's go, but we better hurry. I just don't want to get caught in there when the next train comes through."

"The last train just left. It won't be a problem. Come on..."

To Be Continued------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

O my goodness*, David. Through your description I can see it again, hear it, feel it, almost smell it --- the N.Y.C. subway, where I spent hours each day in pursuit of my education, and which provided an education in itself. Can't wait to read your next installment, a continuation of your adventures with Lowel C.; especially interesting to me, since I knew both of you as adorable little boogers. Great writing --- great action, suspense, and memories! Joyce (James's big sister, and close friend of Mari G. while she was dating your brother)
*=Expression not allowed to be spoken in Ms.Goransson's classroom

Anonymous said...

I agree Joyce, WHAT A GREAT WRITER! I LOVE THIS BLOG. Memories Galore, and easy to read. You're a GREAT BLOGGER DAVE. Got any good Pizza memories? I'm dreaming of some good Brooklyn Pizza right now while writing this, and some REAL Bagel's with cream cheese. I've had both in cities across the US and in Europe, NONE as good as in Brooklyn. I think it has something to do with the water, not sure, but none better than right there in good 'ol Brooklyn.